Monday, October 1, 2012

Grandma Cole's Pear Pie

Yes there is a slice missing. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Yeah I did. And it was tasty. So tasty. And now it's gone. In my belly.

I'm talking about pear pie. My crazy sweet Grandma Cole's pear pie.  Ever heard of it? Sounds kind of weird? But trust me, it's delicious. Sugary, buttery, pear-y, almondy deliciousness. My Grandma Cole used to make it for every dinner party, per my request, since I can remember. It reminds me of home, family and did I say deliciousness? It's. So. Good.

I made it last Friday night while the roomie and I were crushing girl time (the bfs are out of town). Needless to say it was gone by Sunday, and I may or may not have eaten it alone...

Grandma Cole's Pear Pie
Makes 1 pie (6 servings)

INDGREDIENTS:

Crust
1 cup flour
1 egg
1 stick cold, unsalted butter
1 tsp almond extract
dash of salt

Filling
2 cans of pears
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
juice from 1 of the cans of pears

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pie dish.

Combine flour, egg, butter, almond and salt in a bowl. Mix together (I use my hands). Mix thoroughly until it resembles dough. Spread in pie dish. Bake for 5 minutes.

While crust cooks, drain pears (be sure to save the pear juice from one can). Slice pears to desired size. Put in pie shell. Bake another 15 minutes

While pie is baking, combine sugar, pear juice and almond in a saucepan. Mix and bring to a bubble, stirring constantly for 10 minutes (should become syrupy). Add to pie and bake an additional 15-20 minutes.

Allow to cool for 20 minutes. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment