Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Organics Game



Every time I go to the grocery store, I play a little game. It's called the organics game. It happens in the produce section, when I'm picking my apples. It happens in the dairy isle, when I'm choosing my eggs. It happens in the meat cooler, when I'm selecting my beef. You see, the game is whether or not I buy organic.

I want to buy organically because I want my food to be as farm-to-table as possible, without all the added hormones and preservatives. I want to eat produce that's in season and beef that's been grazing on grass. I don't enjoy eating added hormones that make my apples three times the size they should be or eating a cow that has been fed grain only his whole life for the sole purpose of making him fatter. However, I know I shouldn't, because it's so much more expensive.

I'm bringing this up because it's a constant struggle for me at the grocery store. I want to buy the best quality food, but buying organic food is expensive. It's definitely not in my budget. So what's a girl to do? Over the summer I took my food to an extreme, shopping almost exclusively at the natural food store, spending way to much of my income on my diet. Although I wish I could afford to shop that way all the time, I just can't. Recently, I have been purchasing organic food that is most important to me, like produce and eggs. That's more in my budget.

I'm curious to know your thoughts. Do you play the organics game too? Do you struggle with what to buy organic, if anything? Or am I just an over concerned weirdo? I don't know. Just thought I would throw it out there.


P.S. Have you read any of Michael Pollan's books? Or watched Food Inc.? They both changed the way I think about food.

P.P.S. I do understand that organic is just a word. Not everything that says organic is actually USDA certified organic. See more here.


Image via here

No comments:

Post a Comment