Wednesday, April 24, 2013

DIY: Frame Necklace Holder


Since I moved into my apartment last April, I have been hanging my necklaces on nails attached to the wall. Although it obviously looked super classy, I thought maybe the time had come to upgrade the situation. So when I found an old frame at the parent's house last fall that literally spoke to me, saying "Ashley, take meee. Use me as a DIYYY. It's what your mom waaants," I listened, because I had to agree. If I hadn't taken the frame, it's potential would have been wasted. It would have sat in that closet, rotting in a pile of who knows what, any DIY lost forever. So I saved it. And I repurposed it in an excellent DIY. You're welcome Mom.

This DIY was easy. It took me about an hour to complete and I had all the materials but the frame laying around my house. The results were excellent and I've already recieved, like, 15 compliments on it. Now you make one too.

First, gather your materials. You will need:

-empty frame- the frame I used was 18"x22," just make sure yours is long enough for your necklaces
-paint- if you want to change the color of your frame
-hooks- I used 7/8" cup brass hooks, the package I bought was $3 for 6 hooks
-tape measure
-marker
-hammer
-nail

1. Measure your frame so you know where to mark your hooks. My frame's inside width was 14 inches, so I marked a dot every 2 inches (Tip: Divide the inside width of your frame by the number of hooks you have + 1 and that equals how far apart your hooks must be).


2. Slightly hammer a nail into each mark. You don't need to hammer it in more than 1/4th of the way. This is to make an indent for your hook, so it will be easier to screw in.


3. Screw your hooks onto where you made each dot. This was extremely tricky for me, as I don't have a ton of upper body strength (I know, it's hard to tell). The trick is to push the hook down and maintaining pressure while screwing. It's a lot to think about, I know, but if I can do it, so can you!




4. Once all your hooks are screwed in, it's time to paint! Grab a drop cloth or old sheet that you don't care about, head outside and paint, paint, paint! I used the leftover spray paint from this DIY, a sexy shade of aqua. My room is totally color coordinating now. I gave my frame 2 coats of paint because it started to snow and I got bored. You could give your frame 1 coat or 2 coats or 5 coats! Whatever your heart desires. Allow to dry for 20 minutes before touching and overnight before Step 5.



5. Assemble your necklaces on the frame! It's easy, you can do it. You can even color coordinate them, like I did (I am apparently very into color coordinating).

6. Enjoy the fruits of your labor with a cocktail. You deserve it.
Yes this was taken right after this DIY. Yes I have palm trees off my deck.
Yes I'm this tan in the dead of winter. No I'm not lying...



P.S. In case you missed them, 2 more frame DIYs (because I'm obsessed with frames for some reason):
*Chalkboard Frame DIY {Part I}
*Chalkboard Frame DIY {Part II}


3 comments:

  1. How do you make the frame look like that?? So i mean like vintage style ..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truthfully, I used an old, crappy frame that I left out in the rain on accident. I have purposefully distressed wood before, but this time i just spray painted over the original wood. I think the rain made it splinter a but and gives it that "vintage" look.

      However, if you do want to purposefully distress wood, the trick is to paint your first coat in white. Then paint over the white in your desired color. Then gently sand the corners of the wood.

      I hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Love this idea! I just purchased a drawer insert for my necklaces but it only fits like 7 necklaces, so ill definitely be working on this for a secondary necklace storage! Love that color too! Same as my nightstand.

    ReplyDelete